It was part kick-off to the academic year, part reunion as Keuka College’s staff and faculty gathered together for the bi-annual Community Day on Tuesday, Aug. 24. The event is an opportunity for faculty and staff to reconnect before the College begins on-campus instruction on Monday, Aug. 30.
“This is such a wonderful moment, to be back together face to face after such a long time,” said College President Amy Storey, who emceed the celebration, which hadn’t been held in person since January 2020.
President Storey welcomed new employees; reiterated the College’s mission, vision, and values; and provided brief financial and admissions updates. The status of the College’s re-accreditation process was shared, and each area of the College presented points of pride during the event.
The audience also heard a videotaped message from Student Senate President Rocio Figueroa ’22, who thanked the faculty and staff for their dedication, setting an example for all students, and continuing to model a strong sense of community.
Community Day also provides a forum to commemorate members of the Keuka College community with milestone anniversaries, and acknowledge the sustained and noteworthy accomplishments of the College community. Nearly 60 members of the faculty and staff were recognized.
Fifteen-year service awards were presented to:
- Professor of Criminology/Criminal Justice Dr. Janine Bower
- Professor of Education Dr. Debra Dyer
- Associate Professor of English Dr. Alexis Hayne
- Administrative Assistant and Coordinator of Student-Teacher Placements Joanne Jacobs
- Associate Professor of American Sign Language Dr. Sharon Kocher
- Professor of Social Work Jennifer Mealey
- Assistant Professor of Management Stanley Wilczek.
Twenty-year service awards were presented to:
- Professor of Mathematics Dr. Catherine Abbott
- Director of Student Accounts Mary Ellen Griffiths
- Senior Director of Conference Services Karen Mann.
A 25-year award was presented to Purchasing Representative Sue Groom.
Additional appreciation was presented to those celebrating five and 10 years of service to Keuka College.
Several faculty and staff members were honored with the College’s Acorn Award, which recognizes noteworthy accomplishments throughout the year:
- Writing Center Director Catherine Agar
- International Coordinator and Business Administrator Jen Alessi ’17 M’21
- Data Analytics Administrator, Institutional Research Bob Cilino
- Data Coordinator Stacia Dalaba ’18
- Director of Communications and Media Relations Kevin Frisch
- Executive Assistant to Vice President for Academic Affairs Doreen Hovey
- Assistant Professor of English Dr. Steve Kapica
- Chair of the Division Basic and Applied Social Science, Associate Professor of Child & Family Studies, and Associate Professor of Psychology Dr. Nick Koberstein.
Additionally, seven members of the College’s staff were honored with the Oak Award, which recognizes sustained collaborative efforts to further the mission of the College:
- Associate Vice President for Athletics & Recreation/Athletic Director Jon Accardi
- Registrar Katey Cheplick
- Assistant Director of the Digital Imaging and Mail Center Christine Deane
- Associate Director of Human Resources Brittany Murph
- Facilities Director Alan Storey
- Associate Director of Residence Life and Community Standards Tim White
- Associate Professor of Spanish Dr. Malia Spofford Xavier.
Anita Gaston, Registered Nurse, received the Legacy Award, which honors sustained outstanding achievement in harmony with the College’s values.